This site displays photos of makeshift memorials that spontaneously arise after individuals are killed by violence in Oakland. Each site of a killing is photographed whether or not a memorial is found there....

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Yellow Tape & Holy Ground

Its looking like yellow caution tape is becoming a theme in these photos.
I've been struggling with the ultimate purpose of this blog. I don't want it to be another hand-wringing commentary on the insanity of Oakland's homicides. I was hoping to post these photos without any commentary, an attempt at artistic objectivity (probably an oxymoron). But when visiting each of the first five homicide sites, whether a piece of dirt or sidewalk concrete, I've felt a sense that I'm on holy ground, a sacred place where life passed into death. I don't think photos can express that, ergo this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree - I've had a sense of reverence, awe, and God's presence the few times that I've been at a sight of a murder, or even a death.